Thursday, January 26, 2023

Language Lessons


 While English is the official language in South Sudan it is probably not the most widely spoken language. I'm not sure what is but there are a lot of languages spoke here. Even in the community I'm living in I often struggle to differentiate the languages that people are speaking. (Plus the accents make it more challenging!)

Different regions speak different languages. There are over 60 different languages spoken in South Sudan, often based on tribal and ethnic groups. Where I am Zande and Arabic are commonly used. Zande is a tribal language. Many people here are from the Azande tribe, so that is one of their primary language. 

Arabic is also widely spoken. I believe that is the case through many parts of Africa. Some of my co-workers are from other countries, like Uganda, and often speak in Arabic to others as it is a common language for many. However, apparently there is a dialect of Arabic known as Juba Arabic that is often spoken in South Sudan. Adding another layer of challenge. 

So the first hour of my work day, often while I am still at my compound waiting for a ride to be available to take me to work, is spent doing language study. I probably look strange as I wander the gardens here with my flashcards, talking to myself. 

I am trying to learn both Zande and Arabic. I studied Arabic for one year on my own before but many of the words are either not applicable to what I really need to know now, or I simply do not remember them. 

Now my co-workers do speak English. Some of them speak and understand it better than others. But is is complicated by accents. Both mine to them and theirs to me. So sometimes I have to remember that I need to talk slower, annunciate more. I know things get lost in translation on both sides of conversations so many times things are repeated.

The US needs to push people to do more with languages and language learning, especially from a younger age. I would love to say I can speak more than one language. My Spanish is probably only good enough to get me though crisis situations and asking for a bathroom. 

But for now I will walk around the trees and cacti, talking to myself, switching from Zande to Arabic and trying to retain some of it. I think I have 1-2 words in Arabic dawn and maybe 5-6 phrases or words in Zande. Zande is easier in my opinion, than Arabic. But both are challenging. They are not romance languages...

Davido, one of the guys who often drives me to work and around the community, is doing his best to help me. He greets me each morning in either Arabic or Zande and is trying to teach me new words. I fear I am poor student but I am greatful for his help. 

When Davido is driving me with others he will talk in Zande or Arabic to try and make me pick up things. However, knowing as little as I do I often tune out the conversation and watch the community instead. I have told him this but he is still trying. 

He is also exposing me to the music to try and expland my language through that. Some of the music is from the Congo though, so then it is Congo French I am hearing. The music is good but I have yet to pick up on the words. Maybe over the next few weeks. 

Davido swears I will be fluent by the time I leave South Sudan. I always laugh when he says this. Though the other day he declared I would live here for 5 years so I suppose if I did stay that long I would hope to be fluent by then. But I think 6 months will not make me fluent. Still I look forward to Davido letting me practice my language skills and his patience as I butcher his native tongue. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Coming Home

  "I am not the same having seen the moon shine on the other side of the planet." -Mary Anne Radmacher Such true words. I have bee...