Wednesday, January 18, 2023

A Plague of Questions


My daily reminder for how lucky I am comes in the form of the cold shower I take each evening to scrub the dust, sweat, bug spray, and other daily acquisitions from my body. Sure I would like hot water, or at least warm water, but I have running water. I have a shower. I have a full bathroom with a toilet with water. A sink. I have a kitchen. A nice bed and mosquito netting. A TV with cable, access to WiFi, a nice desk, locker, areas to hang clothing, watercooler, veranda to sit out on and read. I have an air conditioner. Best of all I have a safe place to sleep at night and to walk around during the day. I have so much. Yet a still lack so many of the things I had at home.

And when I step under the cold water I curse the shower. Why is there not hot water? Why does the hot water heater not seem to work. Why did I find another lizard in my room when I got home. Thankfully it’s not a snake. I think I would pack my bags then. Why did they not change the battery in the smoke alarm when they installed the new timed lights in all the rooms?  I get to hear the chirp if the dying battery all night.

After I let out that curse and start to scrub I realize how lucky I am. I am choosing to be here. I chose to live like this. Each of these small annoyances are really, really minor. I am so fortunate. But the stark reality of where I come from and where I am living comes out clearly in these moments.

Many of my colleagues are not as lucky as I am. The people I am serving are not as lucky as I am. And every day when they pick me up to take me to work in one of the company vehicles I feel weird. I am used to driving myself. Here I am like a toddler. I rely on drivers to go anywhere. I have people who take care of me. I am constantly told I am a guest and a VIP, getting to use special bathrooms and getting the better seat in the car.

Why am I so fortunate? Do these people think I am fragile that they give all of the nicest things? Do I seem like I am ungrateful for what I do have? Do they think I am high minded or pretentious? What do they think of me? Why does it feel like everyone looks at me when I walk through the work compound? I know I am the only white person here so is this what it feels like back home for many black people? Various thoughts float through my mind throughout the day and as I reflect after coming home at night.

Is this culture shock? Is this a feeling of white superiority? What emotions do I have plaguing me? What thoughts do I need to correct? What feelings do I need to explore further? So many questions. And as I turn off the shower and towel off I am met with more questions and very few answers. Maybe tomorrow will reveal more. More questions and more answers.

1 comment:

  1. Ditto on all your complaints and all your questions. Your experience echoes what I believe mine will be pretty soon. The awkwardness of being the "other" is really one of the hardest things about doing something like this...

    ReplyDelete

Coming Home

  "I am not the same having seen the moon shine on the other side of the planet." -Mary Anne Radmacher Such true words. I have bee...