Sunday, April 16, 2023

Another week done

I have been sick for the better part of two weeks. I am on the mend. Now before you start to worry about me, I picked up a parasite somewhere along the way, and thankfully I work with a group of medical professionals. I just go into work, tell them my symptoms (I went to the clinic and did quick bloodwork just to make sure no malaria), and then my colleagues tell me what medications I need to get. When I told one of the doctors I work with I was sick, he asked my symptoms then asked if I have ever been to Africa before. When I tell him "no" he kind of chuckles and tells me that it is no surprise I am sick. I am in a very new environment. But he makes sure I got my medications and am feeling better, but also reassures me that this is an unfortunate but realistic part of living here. And I am feeling so much better now.

But work has been slow. Part of that is because I was sick and wasn't feeling up to doing as much as I normally do during the week. Part of that is because this is the week after a major holiday here in South Sudan (Easter is a 4-day holiday here) and many of my colleagues are traveling or are out of the office, so work is a little on the slow side.

Easter here was quiet for me. I went to the 7am church service at the Catholic mass. There were many people there, at least 1000 I suspect. I sat outside on the edge of the borehole pump structure because there were no spots inside the large open church. Mass lasted 2 hours, was in English, and was very well done. There was music and decorations and lots of singing and talking. It is not the same as services at home. The sun was hot by the time services ended. I went home and spent the day just relaxing. I did video chat my family which was nice. I went to dinner at the UNMISS restaurant that night. I suspect many people had big family gatherings here with good meals.

I spent much of the week in the office trying to work on a few of the projects that I have started during my time here, in the efforts to create a mental health program here. Now that I am formally half way done with my time here I have to start planning on how I am going to leave some of my projects. I want to have an idea of how I will leave things. Being the only person whose sole focus is mental health it is challenging to acknowledge that some of my efforts may 100% fail when I leave.

But I have hope. We are starting to talk about mental health. I have colleagues come up to me and ask to talk about their mental health. Everyone here struggles with mental health. This environment is harsh and living here is a challenge. I am pleased when people come up to me and know that they need and want the help. This brings me hope.

I don't know what things will look like in a few months. I still have time to make some changes and try to help some people. I am trying. I suppose that is all any of us can do in these situations. There is no guidebook on how to conduct things. Each area, each country, each state needs something different, has different customs and history. So, while I try and research things from other regions that have programs, I have to keep in mind that some things may not work here.

I am excited for the work I have done and some of the projects I still have coming up. Things are falling into place. I am hoping that I will see more patients in the next few weeks. These past two weeks have been slow so it seems like I am seeing only a few right now. I pivot between teaching and seeing patients. Some of the clients (pediatric) that I will be working with had exams this week so they haven't had a chance to meet but I hope in the coming weeks that will change.

Anyways, I don't have much more to write on now. I should work on some teaching topics as I want to have some specific classes in the next few months to work with different areas of the community and I have some planning I want to for a few potential "easy" projects. I am hopeful for a productive next few weeks.

 

1 comment:

  1. It's interesting that you posted Maslow's hierarchy of needs. When I was a teenager, my mother (who grew up in hardship during the Civil War in Spain) told me I was self indulgent for being depressed. She said that when she was my age, she had to worry where her next meal was coming from, not whether she had friends or a boyfriend or nice clothes, or was bored. I was insulted of course, but having traveled and lived in the developing world I now get it. Mental health is seen as a luxury, like getting a massage. People assume suffering is a part of life.

    ReplyDelete

Coming Home

  "I am not the same having seen the moon shine on the other side of the planet." -Mary Anne Radmacher Such true words. I have bee...