Friday, March 3, 2023

Maternity Nurse I am not


Maternity is an area I have never been interested in. Whenever someone said to me they didn't know how I could be a psychiatric nurse, I would joke back and say I don't know how people can be Labor and Delivery nurses. Now I have been thrust straight at maternity. It is a whole different work than the psychiatric departments I am used to. I serve two different maternity units in two different counties, for their mental health education and other mental health needs.

Nope I do not think they will make a L&D nurse out of me yet. However, I am finding the work a little more interesting than I thought. I think part of that is due to the fact that I want to be doing something clinical and at least when I am in the L&D unit here, I am closer to being clinical. But no, I am not delivering babies. I have watched many deliveries now, which has been pretty amazing.

I am interested in learning more about their work in maternity and doing more on the clinical side of things, but not the actual deliveries themselves. I have begun to ask them for things that I can do to help. Most of them do not want to ask me to assist. I am unsure why. However, with the help of Taban, my midwife friend, one or two of the other midwives have begun to give me little things to do.

The other day we worked on cleaning the unit. It is very dirty, literally. Because of all of the dust that comes in from the open windows and doors and the fact that dust is everywhere here, things get dirty quickly and then the layers build up. So, we worked on cleaning the unit a bit more thoroughly and identifying where there are some needs and where more work should be done.

Another day one of the midwives asked me to help hang IVs. The first was relatively easy. It was one that was just open to gravity as a fluid bolus for hypotension. Simple to do but it was still new to me. IV sites look different than what I am used to in the US. They do not have the ability to flush lines here so there is none of that. And there are no pumps so everything is calculated and then done by hand. So, my second IV that I hung was not just done to gravity but had to be titrated by hand to run at 60 drops a minute. Not as easy as it sounds, and even though I did it in nursing school, it still took me some time to get adjusted.

I already mentioned the dirty unit, well it is a complicated matter. Sometimes supplies are limited. Sometimes water is limited. Sometimes people bring in things like dead chickens into the unit. I cringe when I saw that one and wanted to shoo the person away but thankfully, he left shortly after. There are toddlers covered in dirt wandering around. It hard to keep the place clean, especially in Yambio's PCHH where they are completely open to the public and have no way to limit who walks in or out of the facility.

In an earlier post I wrote about how I look forward to Fridays because I get to go to Nzara. However, this Friday there was an issue going due to lack of a vehicle so I ended up spending the day in the maternity unit in Yambio. We scrubbed the unit down completely: walls, floors, furniture. Everything we could. It took a large team and still took us a while. I wish I could show all of the dirt and filth we got cleaned. It is great, but by the end of the day dirt and trash have started to creep back in.

In Nzara there is a guard at one gate of the facility and it seems that less people wander in and out there. However, I don't spend as much time there as I do other places so maybe I am just not seeing things. Nzara's unit is bigger and seems cleaner. However, it is also built differently, higher from the ground and therefore the wind cannot kick up as much dust, and people are not permitted to wear shoes in the clinic unless they are workers. When they tried that in Yambio people's shoes were stolen. There is no easy answer to keeping the unit clean but there are suggestions and things being worked on so let us hope for progress.

There is a general lack of resources in the hospitals here, and in maternity it can mean some very challenging situations. One of the first ones I was told about was the fact that it is not uncommon for the unit to run out of gloves. Most times it is a matter of calling whoever has the storage room key to get more but sometimes there are simply no more gloves. That means IVs are placed without gloves, and babies are delivered without gloves. I cringe at the thought, but what are they supposed to do? The baby has to be delivered so no gloves it is.

Other times the lack of resources comes in the form of light and electricity. There are nights, I have been told, when the generator and solar power was not enough for the night so mothers labor in the dark. Babies are born and delivered by the light of a battery powered light or by the light of a cellphone flashlight. Other times the midwives rely on a headlamp to deliver a baby. Electricity can be scarce.

It also means that when it comes to getting ultrasounds for the expectant mothers a decision must be made. Is better to scan more women who come in for an ultrasound and risk not having light for nighttime deliveries and possible emergencies or do they conserve electricity? This is a daily discussion. An ultrasound could diagnose a potential problem, but could it wait until the next morning when the battery has more time to charge and less chance of draining the little that is left for the night. I don't know how they choose but they have to.

Sometimes the lack of resources comes in the form of having basic items, similar to the gloves. Medicine is not always available or runs out at the clinic. At those times the staff will send the co-patient to a pharmacy to purchase the needed medication for the patient. Sometimes there is no ability to make a phone call to Nzara from Yambio to tell them of an incoming emergency the Yambio PHCC is sending to Nzara's Hospital because it cannot be handled in Yambio. Supplies are conserved and used carefully, and things are repurposed, like IV fluid lines cut and used to hang other IVs. You have to think before you use something here, not the careless waste of supplies in the US hospitals.

Like I said earlier, I am no maternity or L&D nurse but I do see a purpose to me being in the maternity unit, though it can be hard to acknowledge at times. Over the past two weeks I have watched the staff, particularly the midwives, become more and more frustrated and stressed in their work. There are conflicts here, especially between different disciplines and ways of practicing medicine. This happens in the US too. But I am watching the staff struggle and watching as people become increasingly stressed and frustrated.

So, this presents an opportunity for me to try and help. I have spoken with management and doctors at both Nzara and Yambio to try and provide support for the staff in the form of different mental health improvement opportunities. I want to start a group or at least have a few debriefing and discussion sessions with staff. There have been several challenging deaths of mothers, and several fetal and infant deaths since I have come. This is not new but I have been alerted that there are some staff that are struggling with this. That is expected, so if I can help then that is good.

I am hoping to have several opportunities to teach the staff about ways they can help each other and help themselves. I want to work with them on self-care and stress management. I want to work with staff of debriefing and discussion situations in constructive, productive, and therapeutic ways, especially the challenging cases. I hope that I will be able to encourage the staff to do what they need to do to better take care of themselves and to deal better with the heartbreaking work that they sometimes face.

Soon rain season will be here and I am warned that the number of deaths will increase and so will the potential issues for patients, families, and staff along with this. I can try and help them prepare and better face the challenges and struggles. I have plans on how to help and am starting those discussions now, but I am sure more challenges will arise. However, I am glad that the management and teams are willing to discuss the situations and proposed ways I can help. Over the next few weeks, we will see how I am able to actually do these things. We shall see...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Coming Home

  "I am not the same having seen the moon shine on the other side of the planet." -Mary Anne Radmacher Such true words. I have bee...